DAY 2
GREEN GARDENS
Not every garden explodes with a riot of color
some have a quiet beauty all their own in verdant, calming shades of green 



green shrub garden
I recently realized that that among the photos I had collected of gardens I love, there were a lot of gardens created from trees and shrubs - a garden of greens, a palette of textures in every imaginable shade of that color.  I love this type of garden.  It is a calming place to rest the eyes.  I like everything about these gardens from the rounded shrubs, to the ivy climbing the wall of the house bringing height and another dimension to this garden.  The potted shrubs add structure and focal points.







shaped hedges
When I look at a green garden, there is a calmness and serenity.  Maybe that is what I find so attractive - I might just need that in my life...  I learned that this type of garden is actually from the ancient Romans. 


I  also learned, from La Vie en Claire magazine, that there is a true artist creating these gardens in Provence.  Dominique Lafourcade is world renowned for her 'green gardens', creating rich beauty and structure in her native France.  I love her work and I hope you will enjoy it as well in these photos.  She doesn't rely solely on green - she also uses native lavender, roses and other flowers - but the basis and the structure of these gardens and living spaces is created with green shrubs, trees and pots.





dominique lafourcade


Garden lesson:  create places to sit and enjoy your surroundings



potted shaped shrubs
Garden lesson:  shaped boxwoods have a sculptural effect



potted green garden
Garden lesson:  pots allow you to add a garden even where you thought there could be no garden



covered walkway



garden armillary
Garden lesson:  create relief from the bright sun with a shaded pergola or arbor
Garden lesson:  urns can create strategic focal points



garden in provence
Garden lesson:  varying leaf shapes, hues and heights creates visual interest and texture



sculpted hedges, pots and climbing ivies
Garden lesson:  vary heights, shapes and shades of green in the same hedge or area



gravel path to a water feature
Garden lessons:  create hidden rooms in your garden - paths that lead to a fountain, a bench or an urn



chateau's entrance
.



border shrubs punctuated with large pots and planters
Garden lesson:  add vines to cover certain walls, softening them and creating height and drama
Garden lessons:  herbs and vegetables don't need a separate plot - include them in the border



french patio and seating area
Garden lesson:  rounding your shrubs creates softness and informality
straight trimmed hedges create formality



secret garden door
Garden lesson:  add a surprise..... a hidden doorway





garden fountain
..
Garden lesson:  add the music of water
..



alfresco dining
Garden lesson:  create a space to dine and enjoy the beauty of nature




I hope you have enjoyed exploring these green gardens as much as I.   My sister-in-law, Colleen has a garden with some of the same elements as the green gardens above. 

We visited her garden while in Utah recently:  



COLLEEN'S SALT LAKE GARDEN




cool green canopy
I loved the canopy of tall mature trees





ivied tree trunk
Bailey enjoyed the shade they created near the pool deck.  Notice how the ivy has been allowed to cover the tree trunk - I love that little touch



viburnum
..
her viburnum (snowball tree) was dripping with blooms



ivy ground cover
I'm also a fan of the curved pathway and the bed of green ivy



garden cherub
and who can resist the charm of this cherub?



petunia pot
all that green accented with pops of color - like this pot of petunias

Heavenly!



I HOPE YOU ENJOYED TODAY'S LITTLE TOUR

MORE TOMORROW

and

Please leave me a comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top